Innovation Name: MuktoPaath
Category: Public Service Innovation
Company: Aspite to Innovate (A2i) Programme, ICT Division
The content of this case study was written by the representatives of Aspire to Innovate (a2i) Programme
Addressing the worldwide transformation due to the emergence of the fourth industrial revolution, the Government of Bangladesh has implemented multiple education-based initiatives. Focusing on digitalization, the Honorable Prime Minister launched the e-Learning platform MuktoPaath on February 1, 2016. MuktoPaath is a unique e-Learning platform in Bangla for professional and skills development over multiple sectors. The initiative is focused to serve the people considering TCV (Time, Cost & Visit) and widen the scope of learning to a greater extent than ever before. Being one of the largest e-Learning platforms in Bangladesh, MuktoPaath envisions is to serve online, offline and blended learning facilities from experts, policymakers or academicians at minimal expenses. MuktoPaath, in collaboration with the Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS), introduced the first Covid-19 Awareness Course for front liners, including doctors, nurses, and health professionals alongside the citizens at the beginning of the Coronavirus pandemic. At present, the platform is offering 10 Covid-19 online courses with over 4.31 lakh enrollments and more than 2.33 lakh participants have successfully completed the offered courses. MuktoPaath launched over 200 online courses for 1M+citizens including teachers, students, youths, employees, professionals, civil service officers, lawyers, doctors, nurses, volunteers, entrepreneurs, agriculturists, fresh graduates, migrant workers, homemakers etc.
Based on the above criteria MuktoPaath main objectives are the reasons for the nomination,
- To enhance knowledge and skills according to the Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR) applying e-Learning, Artificial Intelligence, future-ready knowledge and skill development by enabling employment, self-employment and entrepreneurship while contributing in national economy.
- To provide a cost effective learning platform (electronic learning project) for all including underserved.
- To assure a life-long learning platform prospect for all.
- A sustainable Bangla online platform for skills and professional development will be ensured.
- Providing all stakeholders with equal opportunity to quality learning material anywhere anytime will be assured.
- Conducting decentralized in-house training programmes, using the learning contents of this platform, will be convenient for any skill development organizations.
- A large number of people will get their desired training in a short time.
- Underprivileged and marginalized will be able to be self-employed getting the vocational and technical education and training through offline and online contents of this platform.
Collaboration among the GoB ministries & departments, Non-GoB/NGO/other training Institutions to develop & implement relevant training/online courses (more than 200). The program has partnered with different public and private organizations to identify needs, design training and education programs for professional and skill development. Thus Muktopaath is helping Bangladesh with its innovative learning method that makes meaningful contributions to attaining SDGs goal no 4 (Quality Education) and 8 (Decent Jobs and Economic growth) and eventually earning a middle-income status in the world arena.
Result and Impact
The e-Learning initiative engaged citizens as well as the community for professional & skill development over multiple sectors. Aiming to provide cost-effective learning alternatives MuktoPaath is available to all, including the underserved population in all prospects. Its core agenda is to enhance future-ready knowledge and skills development according to the Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR) while applying e-Learning, Artificial Intelligence to generate employment opportunities, promote self-employment and encourage entrepreneurship while contributing to the national economy.
MuktoPaath has signed MoU with about 60 government training institutions and 30 non-government organizations, reaching beyond 1.1 million learners. Trainees or learners can access offline and online content which is called blended learning by storing and retrieving contents easily from memory cards to go through lessons at their comfort time. -In 2018, MuktoPaath was the Champion of the worlds most prestigious award in ICT sector, called the “World Summit on Information Society (WSIS) Prize-2018.” -In that year, Bangladesh Press Institute (PIB) also awarded the Sohel Samad Memorial Award to MuktoPaath for consideration of new Innovation/ Creativity in the media field. -In 2021, MuktoPaath is announced as Winner at the 3rd Bangladesh Innovation Award 2021 in the Public Service Innovation Citizen Co- Creation Category.