Innovation Name: 10 Minute School
Category: Best Start-Up Innovation
Company: 2015 – Present
The content of this case study was written by the representatives of 10 Minute School
There are 43 million learners in Bangladesh. These learners face two major problems:
- Geographical and financial barriers reduce access to quality education
- Learners do not have proper skills training to prepare them for jobs
There are 25 million students enrolled in formal education in Bangladesh, but only a handful of them can afford and access to quality education and after-school tutoring because of the lack of good quality teachers and limited affordability.
More than two million young people enter the job market every year. About 46% of the total unemployed youth are university graduates. There is a gap between what students learn in school and universities, and what they need to know when they enter the workforce.
10 Minute School (www.10minuteschool.com), the largest education technology company of Bangladesh, was founded in 2015 to bridge these gaps. The platform provides academic content and skills training to more than 2 million students every day. This platform is the gateway for the 43 million youths of the country to access quality education and skills training from any corner of Bangladesh.
The objective of 10 Minute School is to ensure uninterrupted education across all demographic, economic and geographic arenas of Bangladesh through
- Removing the geographical barrier of education so that students all over Bangladesh can access learning materials anytime, from anywhere
- Making educational solutions affordable so that monetary impediments don’t come in the way of excellence for students in Bangladesh.
- Enabling life-long learning through providing solutions that enable learning from an early age, to academics, university admission, test preparation and upskilling.
The idea was to build digital platforms, i.e. a website (www.10minuteschool.com) and a mobile application (10ms.app), so that learners could easily access all the learning solutions provided by 10 Minute School through a single account. Classes, exams and learning materials are readily available on the platforms so that the students can learn at their own pace. Signing in to 10 Minute School’s website or app means one account could unfold countless learning solutions that will equip the students educationally for the academic and professional journey of the learners.
- We built a website and a mobile application for our learners. Today the platform has 25,000+ classes and skills courses prepared by some of Bangladesh’s best instructors and professionals. It provides a personalized learning journey for students with the opportunity to test their learning from a bank of 50,000+ quizzes additional resources like flashcards, audiobooks, and notes.
- In 2021, we created SSC and HSC preparation courses that made sure students could continue learning despite the pandemic. Around 61,000+ students are enrolled in these courses because they are easily accessible and affordable.
- For the upskilling segment, we introduced industry relevant courses to bridge the gap between aspiring learners and their dream jobs. Through these courses, 5 million learners can learn anything they want to upskill themselves during the pandemic.
- We have created dedicated English learning resources and Kids’ courses to ensure our students have all the necessary skills to equip them to take on the future.
- We have introduced a new product – Online Batch to enable students to get after school tutoring without the hassle of commuting. The classes of these batches are held in the app, which minimizes the distraction created by the internet and social media.
Result and Impact
The success of 10 Minute School has been in the impact we have been able to create in the lives of our students.
- We have learners from all across the country, 54% of our learners come from the suburban and rural areas, which has made us able to remove the geographic barriers between the students and quality education.
- 10 Minute School has received $2M seed funding by one of the largest venture capitals of the world, Sequoia Capital which has confirmed our impact and potential to impact the education sector of Bangladesh.
- We connected 25 million students through our digital platforms and social media channels; 9 million new students joined our community in 2021.
- In 2021 alone, we delivered 8 million learning hours through both real-time and recorded classes that students received and benefitted from.
- The 10 Minute School app (10ms.app) has surpassed 3 million users who learn daily with our app to progress in their academic and professional careers.
- We have over 28 million learners across all our Facebook Groups where students learn from each other and maintain a constant flow of user generated learning content.